01 June 2006

May 31st - the countdown is one month.
There are just a few things on our mind. Here is the status of those things so far:
Paperwork: Today, PriceWaterhouseCoopers told me they just finished my work permit package and submitted it to the Czech Republic's Labour Office ... an important step toward approval.
We also just learned that when the work permit is approved, I then must travel to New York...twice... for our short-term visa application. First time to submit it, then return to pick it up five days later. All has to be done in person at the Czech Embassy (and New York is closest).
The long-term visa is more fun: both Maylia and I must apply in person to the Czech embassy (and one of us does so for Ella, too). For the long-term visas, we file while living in Prague, so we must travel outside the country to a nearby embassy, likely Milan, Italy or Munich, Germany. Yes, again, twice.
The house: Went on the market today. With all fixer-up projects finished, the house is officially available (and more beautiful then when we bought it).
Packing: In a word, overwhelming. Friends have been incredibly generous in offering their time, but we still feel buried by boxes and decisions. Ella compounds the feeling since, at 10 months old, the only thing she packs are diapers.
Work: Maylia gave her notice 2 weeks ago and had her last day a few days ago. I gave my notice 1 week ago and have my last day on Friday, June 9th. Of course, that last week I'll be "working remote" ...apt. shopping in Prague.
Future Apartment: I am going to Prague next week to land our apartment. An exciting adventure, but made more exciting with Jeff Klein deciding to come along! We should have fun together and I hope to come home with a real-life Prague mailing address.

No comments: