"What's For Supper?"
I wrote a very long and boring entry a few minutes ago. May called it cold & educational.
So, let me balance that post with a short, light-hearted one...
I came home tonight to a really interesting smell. I see May cooking with several pots going at once, with Ella calmly watching. I ask "What's for supper?". May answers, looking at the box she just emptied into a pot, "...I have no idea."
We still don't. It was good, but if you find out what "Pohanka" means, tell us what we had for dinner.
Good night-
16 August 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
Did you find out what pohanka is yet? It must be neat when even the cook is surprised at what is for dinner! I guess you have to be more certain with what you feed Ella though. Have you found any familiar names like belintzes...or paroges or goulash or any such familiar European food names?
We still miss you guys a lot.
TPUK
Hi, Just got home from another damn meeting and it was a a bit of amessat the end. Time for Capt Morgan and Capt. Bourgue to have a drink with me.
Dad
Goulash is definitely a staple. Hungarian, not Czech, but close enough to call their own. But when it's actually written as "Hungarian goulash" (in Czech) on the menu, it's super spicy! Otherwise, it's just goulash.
Blintz and parogies -both Slavic and both popular here. Of course, both foods are just another name for similar food somewhere else. Blintz = crêpes, but who knows if the French or the Slavs made it first. :)
Are you sure "Pohanka" wasn't the brand or manufacturer of the food?
A Google search shows that you either ate a Czech Journalist who was kidnapped in Iraq or a Center from the Canadian Hockey League.
0.0
We ate neither Vit nor Igor. We ate pohanka. Absolutely positive it's the food's name - we found out what it was. It took a real descriptive Google search and confirmation from a co-worker, but we found it.
We'll give people a little more time to wonder, otay?
Buckwheat ... couldn't read most of the sites I found, but managed to find this one.
(nice hint with the 'otay') ;)
Way to go Bill! Wish I had a prize to give, but ...I don't (unless you'd like some buckwheat).
Cool link you gave...I find it interesting that it took five people to deliver a presentation on "buckwheat as a functional food." Hopefully the rest of the attendees of The 9th International Symposium on Buckwheat found it compelling. Again, great link...You can't Make this stuff up!
Post a Comment