Getting into the Vánoce Spirit
It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas...in London and in Prague. Over American Thanksgiving weekend, I enjoyed a fantabulous whirlwind weekend in London with wonderful Michelle and parents, sister, and niece. (Jeff and Ella got some quality daddy-daugther bonding time.) WOW! The lights! The excitement! But nothing matched the excitement of seeing Michelle!!!! We had lots of fun...on "the Eye"....
on Carnaby Street...on Regent Street...in the hotel lobby...

...WHEREVER! Thank you Rosenthal/Zack family for a spectacular time!
I was also very lucky to spend a quick hour with a good friend from my Acadia days, Steph. Her little family grew by one about 2 weeks ago and it was really exciting to meet both Benji (whom she was pregnant with the last time I saw her) and little Spencer.
Not to mention the surprise and pleasure of seeing Becky (another university pal) and her family! If I'd only known my flight was to be delayed 6-hours, I could have had a more relaxed visit...
So the Christmas spirit was upon me - beginning with the decorations and lights of London, followed up on my return to Prague with singing "Jingle Bells" and "The Little Drummer Boy" at music playgroup on Thursday, and Friday Ella opened the first door on the advent calendar. (DHL-supplied, Lindt chocolate-filled...BIG PERK of Jeff's job! Ella opens, we eat.)

We filled our weekend with Prague Christmas Markets! Friday night, we stopped by the market at Namesti Miru at developed a strong taste for svařak. Jeff even learned to make it - so we can keep the Vánoce Spirit flowing!

Saturday we did a walking tour from the Castle, across the Charles Bridge, and into the big Christmas market at Old Town Square.

And Sunday evening we joined Lucie and Alice at a Svatý Mikuláš (St. Nicholas) celebration at a soon-to-open Rodina Centrum (Family Center). The event was so much fun! Ella had a blast and I am looking forward to visiting the center after it opens in January.

Tomorrow is the big day for Svatý Mikuláš...we'll head downtown in search of him, and the angel and the devil.
Nejlepši Vánoce!
Maylia




5 comments:
It looks like Xmas is a spectacular treat to see in Prague.
... even though the majority of those in Prague do not consider themselves religious, if I recall correctly.
Rightly said, Jeff: Czechs are not religious and they are proud of it. But they do believe in God.
I'd like to write a blog entry about this, but I have to get some friends to confirm I get the right wording, combined with history.
In short, most Czechs believe in God, but even more Czechs loathe organized religion, the church.
Here's a quick site I found that really sums up the few conversations I've had.
-jeff p
http://atheism.about.com/b/a/009710.htm
I went to the aethist site and they mention the church in the middle of the castle. I thought I read somewhere that they actually hold services in that church, or am I thinking of some other old church in Europe? There are only a few...
Post a Comment