Festival Season!
Prague marks the beginning of summer with lots and lots of festivals! June is full of them!
Last weekend we took in the Prague Quadrennial....the world's largest scenographic exhibition. What is that?!? Good question! It was a HUGE exhibition from theater people around the world showing off costume and stage design. Very, very interesting to see...if we felt a bit out-of-the-loop at times. Ella enjoyed it too, as they had interactive displays that were kid-friendly. Unfortunately, we are still without a camera so I will just include an older photo of the location of the exhibition (Výstaviště Exhibition Ground).
AND....I almost forgot to say we were interviewed by a Brazilian reporter for the newspaper Estadao. Photos and everything! I haven't been able to find anything on us but she gave me her email address, so I will contact her and certainly let you all know if we've become world-famous!!!!
Coming up this week, starting today in honour of World Music Day, is the United Islands of Prague Festival, which features free music on three of Prague's islands as well as on the banks of the Vltava. Here's some more info in english. I'm sure Jeff, Ella, and I will try to take part in some of this.
However, it will be tough competition on Saturday because we will be busy celebrating the summer solstice with a traditional Swedish Midsummer party. Our friends, Annika and Ingvar (and Victor and Linnéa) will be sharing this festive event with us. If it's a sunny day they will be hosting it here, in our garden. Hopefully we will be able to share some photos with you as I'm sure someone will have a camera. At this point I only know that we need to bring flowers to make wreaths and that there will be lots of new-to-us yummy food...
To top it off, my friend and "co-worker" (we teach the children's music class together), Leah, and her husband, Mirek, have organized an amazing street theater festival taking place July 2 to 4. It's called Teatrotoč Street Theatre Festival. WOW! It looks awesome! Can't wait to take it in...
I know this is only a taste of what's happening here in the city these days. Everyone's been telling me that June is a crazy festival month in Prague. Very happy we're here to take advantage of it!
Maylia
PS Here's a bonus Ella photo from the archives...June 6, 2007.
No comments:
Post a Comment