Missed it by That Much
Jeff was in London for one day yesterday, leaving last night around 8pm. News has it the UK had their worst earthquake in 20 years just 5 hours later. Missed it by that much.
Jeff was there for work, but managed to walk about Monday night.
[I have a hard time blogging about myself in the 3rd person, so it's "I" from now on. :) ]
I walked a loop around the bridges near Big Ben.
I stayed nearby at the Grange Holborn hotel. If I remember the signs right, that's the Bloomsbury Square neighborhood, but I should ask Michelle R. to be sure.
Obligatory movie snippet ... "Look kids, Big Ben, Parliament"
I walked past the Westminster Abbey. Since watching the Divinci Code only a week ago (finally), I really wanted to see Sir Isaac Newton's tomb. The guard at the gate said that tourist visiting hours were over, but I noticed a couple people just walked past him. Then the guard mentioned that catholic mass started in 15 minutes.
Well, given the choice between attending an evening mass or not getting inside, I took the mass.
So, here's a shot of the Westminster Abbey and the famous globe over Newton's burial spot.
After hearing "Here endeth the lesson" a couple times between the choir boys singing and I couldn't help but think of several Monty Python quotes.
The choral singing was absolutely beautiful, but a big highlight was spotting so many tombs and momuments. It would be unjust to list only a couple here, so here's a link if you want to run through the names yourself.
2 comments:
You took a picture while in church? Sir Isaac Newton is surely rolling around in his Abbey grave.
Forget about the neighborhood, that hotel would be great even in the slums of New Cross, where Michelle went to school.
Post a Comment