19 November 2008

Dekujeme Vam na Nemocnice Parker / Welcome to Hospital Parker


Ella is coughing. Jeff is coughing. Maylia has bronchitis. And Mattias has chicken pox. Happy! Happy! Joy! Joy!

This is Maylia writing. I'll write in the first person now. Can I admit the ugly truth that I am feeling sorry for myself? Yes, I know I have so much in the world to be grateful for...please don't post some comment listing these things. I know what they are. And I certainly know that none of these illnesses is serious. But they certainly are aggravating. And we've basically been housebound since Erin visited us in mid-October. That was when Ella started being sick. There have been some short reprieves, but overall, it's been a crappy month! I mean, CRAPPY! Last year, I also had a CRAPPY November. In fact, it was one of the lowest times I can remember. I also had bronchitis. Poor Eric was visiting then and I think nearly witnessed a nervous breakdown as I tried to cope with being hugely pregnant, very ill, and a stressful move all at the same time. So, I've decided that while I love Prague and this adventure we are on. I do NOT love November in Prague. In fact, I despise it. And....I want my mommy.

So, Jeff and I both visited the same doctor today at different times. We are able to go to this very nice clinic not far from his work (well...only a few metro stops). It is through a plan with DHL. There are English-speaking doctors and it is all very modern and "western".  Doctor Skoda (funny name for a doctor...or a car..."Pity") diagnosed me with bronchitis and prescribed an antibiotic. 

We could have the viral vs bacterial debate but the doctor felt confident I needed the antibiotic. I did see another doctor in Prague last year who actually did a blood test on the spot to confirm this. I was very impressed with him. But, I also had to pay quite a bit to see him.  Today, along with the antibiotic, I was also told to pick up a herbal remedy to help keep my bronchial tubes lubricated and some mineral water.  Not just any mineral water but a specific mineral water that is believed to be good for this type of illness - you drink it and you also heat it up and inhale it.  

And this is where I want to make my cross-cultural point.  I believe, in general, that Czechs are more homeopathic/naturopathic than North Americans.  It seems very common here to be sent to the lekarna (pharmacy) for concentrated cranberry powder, bee pollen, or a special mineral water that bubbles up from underground somewhere in the countryside.  At home, I don't think doctors combine pharmaceutical medicine with herbal/natural medicines nearly so much.  Am I right?  I like it.  It's neat.  We see this the most with our pediatrician who is both a naturopath as well as a medical doctor.  But today, in this modern clinic, it really hit me.  And I wonder why it is? Perhaps they had to rely on "home remedies" until more recently?  Something to ponder.  One of those little differences that makes me remember why we are here having this adventure, even in the miserable month of November.

2 comments:

Jeff K said...

It just reaffirms my thought that the best time to visit Prague is May / June. None of the Parkers have been sick in May / June :) I am sorry and we feel bad for you. Two more week sand you are out of the woods :) If it helps, know that at least two people who believe strongly in heavy pharmaceuticals are thinking of you and wishing you well.

kitandtom said...

Feel better Parkers! We're sending good vibes your way...