Yes, We Can (cater food, deliver flowers, ...)
While waiting for my tram to work this morning, I noticed a local catering wagon (Zátiší Catering) rolling up to the nearby traffic light. I wouldn't have given the delivery vehicle a second thought if I hadn't noticed their motto, Yes, We Can, printed on the back window even larger than their company name.
I thought to myself: That sounds familiar...where have I heard that from? {yeah, right}
For the hell of it, I searched for "Yes we can 'our motto' " on Google - and got thousands of hits. Even skipping direct accounts of Obama's speech, the 3 words are still popular as mottos adopted by businesses other than our local catering company. A florist, nursing agency, even Bob the Builder (Can we fix it? Yes, we can!), some claiming to have said it first.
I'll save our family blog from political talk, but I would be happy to see businesses benefit by taking one man's hopeful words as their own. If the catchphrase becomes a self-fulfilling marketing campaign, cranking out a little more home-grown prosperity, all the better.
Obama's Presidential inauguration tomorrow? We'll be watching it online from here. From recent pictures of the growing crowds on Memorial Mall, I don't think we could get any closer anyway.
Birthday - we're half done celebrating
On other, much lesser news, we celebrated my 40th last week, just Maylia and I, dining at the upscale Kampa restaurant, Cowboys. Maylia had filet mignon with delicious sides, while I had their flagship specialty burger. And Maylia saw to it they knew it was my birthday, but we'll write more on our Cowboys night out later.
This Friday, we will celebrate again, this time a planned evening of competitive beer drinking with friends. We'll post more about both places after we recover this weekend.
Thank you all for your super sweet birthday wishes, gifts, and kind words of encouragement for entering the adult world (kicking and screaming).
-Jeff
19 January 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Did I mention the aches and pains associated with 40? Happy Birthday anyway!
Jeff - no, you didn't. But that's okay, I brought mine in from the 30's.
Meet you at the gym, right?
Post a Comment