26 July 2009

Moscow Trip, Part 1 of 2

So, I flew to Moscow last Monday for 3 days. But before I write about my trip, let me tell a story about how this trip was supposed to happen.


Nearly 20 years ago, I spent my final university semester studying abroad in Moscow. For me and 8 other new friends, it was a tough time as the Soviet Union was on the verge of collapse. Real revolutionary times and the foreign students of the Pushkin Language Institute were given no special treatment.
I and a guy named Bill dealt with the hardships together, fast becoming close friends by the end. We always figured we'd arrange to experience Moscow again someday, but since 1991, it never happened for either of us. Until this summer. The plan: Bill flies to Prague for 4 days, then we fly to Moscow for 3 days.

Or maybe not. Unfortunately, Bill's only experience of Russia this summer stopped with the Russian embassy, who held his passport for 2 weeks longer than expected, overlapping even the departing flight to Prague. No passport, no flight to Prague or Moscow. In short, vacation ruined for Bill, thanks to the embassy.

So, before I write about how Moscow went for me, I'm going to share how Moscow called out for Bill. I sent it off to Bill only a few minutes ago.





We missed you, Bill!

3 comments:

kitandtom said...

That is awesome! What a great video. I especially like the breakdown of responses at the end. Poor Bill. Well, at least he sure knows you were thinking of him.

kitandtom said...

Also...I hope you had a great trip!! Would love to hear more...

Jeff K said...

Unbelievable. Nice work. I guess it is always good to have a purpose besides sight seeing.