04 February 2010

News of the Weird

This is a little story I've wanted to share. Bizarre. But interesting. And maybe even helpful to someone out there. This event occurred during the last 2 days Jeff's folks were visiting us.


Tuesday morning I woke up and started to make oatmeal. I cut up an apple to put in it and took a couple bites of apple off the core before throwing it away. I immediately got this awful, metallic, bitter taste in my mouth. At first I thought perhaps the apple wasn't good. But Jeff tried some and said it was fine. I sipped my coffee - Yuck! Ate the oatmeal - Ick! Every time I tried to eat something I would get the same terrible taste at the back of my mouth. The only way I could get relief was by brushing my teeth - but the moment I ate or drank anything (except water) the awful taste came back!

This lasted the entire day. And I still had the problem when I woke up and tried to have breakfast Wednesday morning. I found salty things (like popcorn) were not so bad and sweet things (chocolate) were terrible. It was an interesting way to diet. But not pleasant at all. I remembered a metallic taste in your mouth being a symptom of some illnesses - maybe heart disease or diabetes or something. So the next day I got online and started googling and I found this blog...God bless the internet and God bless Roger Hyam!

So it turns out that the problem is pine nuts. Yep, you read it right, folks, pine nuts! Sunday night we went out for dinner. I made a snack for the kids before we went that included roasted pine nuts for Ella. I love pine nuts and there were a few left in the pan that I gobbled up before heading out the door - maybe 2 tablespoons worth. I checked the bag, and as discussed on Roger Hyam's blog, they are pine nuts from China. Interestingly, Ella had no problems with them. Jeff could not resist after hearing my story and ate a whole bunch. He was also fine. But, as you can read on linked blog, it's like an allergy - it only affects some people...seems maybe 10 or 20%. And it is only a certain species of pine nut that comes from China. As I said before, I LOVE pine nuts, have eaten tons of pine nuts, and have never had anything like this happen before.

All in all, I was very grateful to know the cause of my yucky-mouth. I was also thankful that I had only had a couple spoonfuls of the nuts. By Thursday night I was back to normal. From what I've read, it takes two weeks for many people. Yikes!

Anyone want a bag of pine nuts?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I know what you mean. It was months ago when I had this awful metalic taste in my mouth. It was awful. Turns out, as Michelle pointed out for me, that it was simply the battery I was chewing.... Yours was strange too.

Unknown said...

Thanks for the cooky share -- so bizarre indeed!!!

Jeff -- so THAT's what does it to you :-).