23 July 2006


Girls Napping
...and I'm browsing news on the web, updating my personalized Google homepage and waiting for the IKEA delivery guy to call (anytime between 8:00 and 13:00 here). Did I mention time here is that military format? Not 1:00pm, but 13:00; not 9:00pm, but 21:00. Takes some getting used to, but it's been a few years...
Got a new computer. Were using our eMachines laptop. Now, as of yesterday's purchase of a wireless card for the new PC, we're on the 'Net and styling. We're sharing the upstairs neighbor's wireless bandwidth (yes, legally and legitimately, sharing the bill with him and 2 other neighbors). We got on that Internet-sharing gig pretty quickly, since the Internet's fairly expensive for an individual. As far as the new computer, May was cool with me buying a new laptop back in the US, but looking at costs near $3000 for something really worthwhile made me change my mind. Instead, I chose to buy a new PC here. Sure, computers here are about 20% more than in the US, but a top end desktop is less than half as expensive than an equivalent laptop, so buying one here was well worth the wait.
...now, something I did not count on: Windows in Czech. Yup, from the "Start" button onwards, all menus, -everything -- all in Czech. I'll post a snapshot of what I'm seeing on the Start menu... The icons help a lot and some of my "navigating" is just by habit or knowing how far down the menu to go. But what's really catches me off guard is any error messages -then comes the dictionary.

--- someone's awake. later. -jeff

No comments: