First Snow!
According to Czech folklore, St. Martin arrives on a white horse in early November, bringing the first snow with him. November 11 is the actual St. Martin's day, but our first snow arrived November 3. Here's a view of our courtyard from Ella's bedroom window.
And so reality settles in...winter is here. And so we must resign ourselves to hats, gloves, scarves, boots, snow pants and jackets. Here's Ella in her cozy fleece suit, ready to brave the cold with a trip to the playground.
And here she is wearing her new (to her) Winnie the Pooh boots!
It's funny! I find myself getting caught up in the fear of the cold Czech winter. Hanging around with South Africans (who never feel it below 18C) and Brits (who never feel it below freezing) does this to me. Then I have to stop and think. The Czechs say it can get as cold as -10C. Last winter was very bad and they had a few days where it was -20C. And sometimes, it even snows in Prague! "I hail from Canada, the Great White North!" I have to remind myself. Even my last few years in New Hampshire saw temperatures colder than this...certainly for longer stretches...and we certainly got our share of snow. I must remain calm.
Even with all this talk of winter, Ella and I still joined our friends Ali and Dylan today on a long walk to the river and back. Feeding the ducks and swans was the highlight. Actually, Ella and Dylan ate the bread while Ali and I fed the birds!

The baby wakes.
Maylia
08 November 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Hi ,
We got"these boots were made for walking" on our speakers instead of the "phone".
"THUNDEROUS"!
Nice boots Ella. Can't wait to see just how you'll work them in the snow. Practice. You'll need it in the Great White North.----Baboo & Yaya
Hi again,
Nana just checked the blog. She thought the boots video and Ella's expressions were "Fantastic". She saw Ella with the green cap that she gave here too.
We're having Nana for dinner and would call you on Skype put it's 1752hours here.
Loads of love,
Nana and Baboo.
Post a Comment