05 November 2008

Today's a Good Day for Americans

Today's the day everyone here woke up and found out the election outcome in America.

Jeff here. In my first half hour at work, I had no fewer than five people "congratulate" me for my country's choice of Obama for President. For that, I was surprised.

My first thought was Obama's win was unexpected - it shouldn't have been (local media guessed Obama as the winner for weeks). But as each person continued past their congrats, they said how impressed they were Americans could work past their racism. This came from Canadian, British and Czech coworkers. For that, I was really surprised.

I honestly wasn't sure if this was a "backhanded compliment" or some genuine approval of progress. Coming from one person, I would have thought it a snub, unintended or not. But no, it came from many, so I guess I've learned yet more about foreigners' perception of Americans (unintended or not).

Whatever the case, Americans deserve congratulations. They made history and it's an outstanding time for hope.

p.s. Also congrats to now Senator Shaheen who upset Sununu in New Hampshire. :)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hey guys,
I agree with what you said in your post. I still (nearly a month later) have folks here...Saudi and "Western", talking to me about Obama and the promise of change he will bring. And I think it's a grand and proud new day in America, as I also have noted the new respect I think others have for us for our choice. But, before we let anyone else get too "congratulatory" on our "ability" to get over our racism in America....let's remember one thing...one thing that my European husband pointed out so charitably. We're the first ones to do it, beating everyone else to electing a black President. Where else in the West has done it? (Maybe there is so feel free to correct me if so, but I can't think of any.) So while I totally, wholeheartedly agree that we should be damn proud of ourselves....these other countries should not only be proud of us...maybe they should take a lesson for the future.