18 February 2010

Another Update on Jeff's Job

Last month, I wrote a post about my job.

To recap, rumors started last September about layoffs. Got more & more certain by November. Lots of up & down feelings for us. By Christmas, we decided that it's okay to have our planned 5+ year stay cut short a year. We'd head back to the east coast of US/Canada, closer to family and friends again.
On that last post, we were 80-90% sure of the layoffs happening.

Since that last post, more has happened. Here's the skinny:

4 February - European Workers Council (Labors Union) meeting. Decision: no layoff

Soon after, Maylia and I made our own decisions. I'm sparing any details until all is final, but we figured better to have life in our control than wait for others to decide for us.

14 February - May & I have an incredible Valentine's dinner at Kampapark overlooking the Charles bridge to celebrate life and our 9 or 10 years of marital bliss. We're reacquainted with delicious scallops and are certain we've made the right decisions. :)

17 February - Surprise! - Company announcement: "Screw the Workers Council" (I'm paraphrasing here). Company decides to proceed with layoffs anyway. Meetings to serve notice to start on 26 February.

17 February - Not a surprise - manager invites 4 of us to 15 minute meetings with HR on the 26th. Mine's at 2:15.

Wish me luck! And see you this summer (our fingers crossed)

3 comments:

Marilyn Parker said...

Fingers,toes,arms and legs~~crossed. Good to have that feeling of some control over your destiny~!
That dinner menu looked fabulous....Us in IN

Unknown said...

Remember Sandra's employment theory that I welcomed, "everyone loves a quitter." If you need some inspiration, research how Burrell Smith ensured that Steve Jobs would not talk him out of quitting Apple.

That's right, holy cow, you are coming to on 10 years too. Nice.

Sandra MacAulay Thompson said...

Everyone certainly does love a quitter! We are anxiously awaiting your return and yes, Jeff, loving to death the quitters in our lives. :)